Global Market Overview of Manganese Ore & related FerroalloysNovember 8, 2020
Our office Azin kimiaNovember 8, 2020
Global SiMn production increased by 1% in August from the previous month to around 1.4 million mt on rising production in Asia and Oceania, Europe and Americas. SiMn year-to-date production fell by 7% compared to the first 8 months of 2019 due to slowing demand.
- Asia and Oceania: production rose by 2% from the previous month. The increasing output in China compensated decreasing production in Malaysia. YTD production in the region dropped by 5% from the previous year on declining supply in China, India, Japan, and Malaysia.
- CIS: Output dropped by 23% MoM in the region, due to production cuts in Ukraine, Russia, and Kazakhstan. In the first 8 months of the year, output contracted by 19% due to production cuts in Georgia, Kazakhstan and Ukraine, which offset the production increase in Russia.
- High-carbon Ferromanganese (HC Fe-Mn)
Global HC FeMn production rose by 1% in August to 310,000 mt on increasing output in Asia and Oceania and Europe. But, the YTD output was 12% lower than the same period of the last year due to production cuts in all regions.
- Asia and Oceania: production expanded by 3% in August as increasing output in China, Malaysia and Vietnam compensated production cuts in India. YTD production was 10% lower than YoY as all countries recorded production decrease except Vietnam.
- CIS: supply contracted by 1% as production cuts in Russia offset increasing output in Ukraine. YTD output decreased by 6% YoY as a result of production cuts in Russia and Ukraine.
- Africa and Middle East: output decreased by 18% due to production cuts in South Africa and Saudi Arabia. YTD output decreased by 23% YoY due to production cuts in all countries except Iran.
- Refined Ferro-Mn (Ref FeMn)
Global refined Ferro-Manganese production expanded by 7% in August from the previous month to around 101,000 mt on increasing supply in all regions. YTD production on the other hand was 19% lower than the same period of the previous year because of the dampening demand.
- Asia and Oceania: supply rose by 1% MoM in August on increasing production in China and Vietnam, which compensated lower output in India. YTD output dropped by 11% from the first 8 months of last year due to production cuts in all countries.
- Europe and CIS: output expanded by 20% in August on increasing supply in Norway. YTD production on the other hand was 34% lower than Jan-Aug 2019 as production cuts in Spain and Norway offset the rising supply from Ukraine.
- Americas and Africa: production in August was 41% higher than in the previous month on recovering output in Mexico and South Africa. The YTD production was 32% lower YoY due to production cuts in all countries.
Global Mn ore supply contracted by 3% in August from the previous month to 1.9 million mt Mn units. Over the first 8 months of this year the output fell by 8% from the same period last year on lower production in most regions except Americas.
- Africa and Middle East: supply remained stable in August as production cuts in Ivory Coast and South Africa, which were offset by increasing output in Gabon, Kenya, Morocco, Namibia and Iran. But, Mn ore production in the first 8 months of this year was 10% lower than in the same period of 2019 on production cuts in Ghana, Kenya and South Africa.
- Asia and Oceania: output declined by 4% MoM in August due to production cuts in most countries except Vietnam. The output in the first 8 months of 2020 was 7% lower than in the same period of the previous year as production cuts in China, Malaysia, Myanmar and Pakistan which offset increasing production in Thailand, Vietnam and India.